Objectives and expected outcomes
The Coalition aims to rally up cities around the world to sign the declaration with the following objectives:
- Improved policies, laws, plans and strategies for better open and ethical digital service standards at the city and global level.
- Improved access to affordable and accessible internet and digital services on equal terms, as well as the digital skills to make use of this access and overcome the digital divide.
- Improved privacy and control over personal information through data protection in both physical and virtual places.
- Increased understanding of the technological, algorithmic and artificial intelligence systems that impact their lives, and the ability to question and change unfair, biased or discriminatory systems.
- Improved representation on the internet, and collectively engage with the city through open, participatory and transparent opportunities to shape the technologies designed for them, including managing our digital infrastructures and data as a common good.
The Coalition has the following expected outcomes of its activities:
- To eliminate barriers to harnessing technological opportunities that improve the lives of city inhabitants;
- To provide secure digital services and infrastructures that support communities; and
- To increase respect for human rights in a digital environment, particularly in City services by incorporating human rights principles such as privacy, security, freedom of expression, and democracy by design into locally controlled digital platforms, infrastructures and services.
- To jointly advocate for digital rights and the provision of digital services and infrastructures that support communities.